Hotel Caorle - Treviso
Treviso is the capital of Treviso
province and is the home of the headquarters of designer
clothing company Benetton, major appliance maker DeLonghi and
sports eyewear maker Rudy Project.
For some scholars, the ancient city of Tarvisium derived its
name from a settlement of the Celtic tribe of the Taurusci. Others have attributed the name instead to the Indo European
root tarvos, meaning "bull".
Tarvisium, then a city of the Veneti, became a municipium in 89
BC after the Romans added Cisalpine Gaul to their dominions.
Citizens were ascribed to the Roman tribe of Claudia.
Treviso lay in the path of barbarians invading Italy. Treviso
went through a demographic and economic decline similar to the
rest of Italy after the fall of the Western Empire; however, it
was spared by Attila the Hun, and thus, remained an important
center during the 6th century.
People from the city also played a role in the founding of
After a Scaliger domination in 13291339, the city gave itself to
the Republic of Venice, becoming the first notable mainland
possession of the Serenissima.
It's important to name:
- Piazza dei Signori (Lords' Square), with the Palazzo di Podest
(later 15th century).
- The Loggia dei Cavalieri, an example of Treviso's Romanesque
influenced by Byzantine forms. It was built under the podest
Andrea da Perugia (1276) as a place for meetings, talks and
games, although reserved only to the higher classes.
- Church of San Nicol, a mix of 13th century Venetian Romanesque
and French Gothic elements. The interior has a nave and two
aisles, with five apsed chapels. It houses important frescoes by
Tommaso da Modena, depicting St. Romuald, St. Agnes and the
Redemptor and St. Jerome in His Study. Also the Glorious
Mysteries of Santo Peranda can be seen. Noteworthy is also the
fresco of St. Christopher in the eastern area of the church,
which is the most ancient depiction of glass in Europe.
- The Duomo (Cathedral), dedicated to St. Peter. It was once a
small church built in the Late Roman era, to which later were
added a crypt and the Chapels of the Santissimo and the
Malchiostro (1520). After the numerous later restorations, only
the gate remains of the originary Roman edifice. The interior
houses works by Il Pordenone and Titian among the others. The
edifice has seven domes, five over the nave and two closing the
Other points of interest nearby:
Caorle, the lagoon